Implementation of a global Software Asset Management Solution
Software Asset Management (SAM) has become a vital function for larger organisations to manage their software license assets. To be able to determine the exact license requirements and current compliance level is key in order to reduce the risk large fines imposed by the software vendors in case of non-compliance.
Robin Fellmann, 2018
Bachelor Thesis, Confidential
Betreuende Dozierende: Rainer Telesko
Keywords: SAM, software asset management, snow, license, audit, compliance, CMDB, inventory, software
The client, an organisation with offices and production sites located around the world, raised the request to implement a global Software Asset Management solution. Prior to the thesis project, the client did not have detailed knowledge about the software installed on clients and servers. The exact determination of the licensing requirement was impossible and resulted in a risk of using software products without the required licenses. Since all major software vendors perform license usage inspections (audits) on a regular basis, this risk could no longer be accepted.
The Software Asset Management project consisted of multiple components:
- General project management of the SAM project
- Implementation of a Software Asset Management Platform based on Snow Inventory & License Manager
- Analysis, cleansing and consolidation of existing software license assets of a specific software vendor
- Update the internal Configuration Management Database (CMDB) with data from Snow License Manager and Inventory
With the implemented Software Asset Management solution the client is able to calculate the exact license requirement and current compliance level on a daily basis. Audit readiness is ensured and minimises the risk of non-compliance during future license inspections.
In addition, the client has several other benefits:
- The Software Asset Management platform can be used to manage license assets for any vendor and application
- Optimised license balance which will allow the organisation in future to procure just enough licenses to remain compliant without overspending on unnecessary licenses
- Accurate and up-to-date date inventory information in the CMDB
Studiengang: Business Information Technology (Bachelor)
Fachbereich der Arbeit: Business Information System & IT-Management