Health Technology Assessment as a cost reduction tool in public health care: Where is Switzerland?
With the cost explosion and the upcoming challenges in the Health System, Switzerland had to take actions to mitigate the actual cost explosion. Therefore, the Swiss Government launched the Health Strategy 2020. It was decided on 36 measures. One of this measure is the strengthening and expansion of the Health Technology Assessment in Switzerland. Health Technology Assessment is a systematic method to evaluate medical technologies, pharmaceuticals/medicines, medical treatments and surgeries. Switzerland is not the only country facing these steep cost developments and that invests in HTA. The European Union wishes to establish a joint HTA. However, this task faces difficulties. Here we show how the Health Technology Assessment of the Federal Public Health Office comes along and how it compares with other countries.
Terry Burkhalter, 2019
Bachelor Thesis, Eidgenössische Finanzkontrolle
Betreuende Dozierende: Erich Bürkler
Keywords: Health System, Health Technonolgy Assessment, Government, Europa, Joint Assessment
The federal council of Switzerland has passed the health strategy 2020 in January 2013. With 36 actions, the federal council plans to secure the quality of living, equality of opportunity, improve the quality of supply and increase the transparency. The goal is to adapt the health system to the new challenges and at the same time to keep it affordable. One of this goal is the reduction of not effective and not efficient services and pharmaceutical products, to improve the quality and to reduce the costs. Specifically, it is the goal to improve and strengthen the so-called Health Technology Assessments.
The Federal Audit Office will be auditing the Swiss Health Technology Assessment processes of the Federal Public Health Office in September 2019. The Bachelor Thesis contributes to the preparation and execution of this audit.
- Literature research
- Collection of interviews
- Evaluation of the collected Literature and interviews
- Valuable background information about the HTA in Switzerland is provided
- The independence of the FOPH HTA is being analyzed
- The Swiss HTA process is being evaluated according to the principles of Drummond et al
- The Swiss HTA is being compared with the HTA from countries that have proved to have very good HTA process such as Scottish Medicine Consortium and IQWiG in Germany
- Switzerland’s involvement in the international HTA organizations is being evaluated
- A recommendation if Switzerland should collaborate with Europe in the HTA area is being formulated.
The client benefited as the Bachelor Thesis has given a good overview/comparison about HTA in Europe and made some valuable recommendations. It has helped in the preparation phase of the upcoming HTA audit.AI84
Studiengang: Business Administration International Management (Bachelor)
Fachbereich der Arbeit: Andere